sports law & management
CONTRACTS | TRANSFERS | SPORTS LAW LITIGATION
Professional career & affiliations
- Partner at Vaz Serra & Associados – Sociedade de Advogados, SPRL (present)
- Arbitrator at the Sports Artbitration Court (Portugal), (2015-present)
- AESE Business School: Leadership and Management Programme (2012-2013)
- Intern and TMS Manager at Sporting Clube de Portugal SAD (2004-2015)
- Attendance of doctorate in sports law at the Law and Economics Faculty of the Univesity of Lleida, Spain (2005-2007)
- Lawyer at Vaz Serra & Associados – Sociedade de Advogados (2003-2006)
- Enrolled in the Portuguese Bar Association (2003-present)
- Master in Sports Law: INEFC – University of Lleida, Spain (2003-2006)
- Enrolled in the Portuguese Bar Association as an intern lawyer (2001-2003)
- Degree in Law from the Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa (2001)
Member of the Portuguese Bar Association
- Practical experience in the field of football and sports since 2004.
- Experience in legal counselling in the field of football club management.
- Experience in sports litigation at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- In-house lawyer at a top Portuguese club until 2015.
- Arbitrator at the Portuguese Court of Arbitration for Sport.
- Member of the Portuguese Sports Law Association.
- Contracts, transfers, partnerships, financing, players, agents, sports litigation, legal consultancy.
Hugo Vaz Serra has practiced law in the field of football for about fourteen years. During more than 11 of those years he was on the staff of Sporting Clube de Portugal, and as part of the legal team had the opportunity to counsel several boards and football departments. In 2016 he embraced a new challenge in the same field: Free and autonomous legal counselling in the sports world as a lawyer at VAZ SERRA & ASSOCIADOS – Sociedade de Advogados, SP, RL.
Hugo Vaz Serra is based in Lisbon, Portugal, merely three hours by plane from Switzerland, which hosts the majority of the world’s sporting institutions, including the international Court of Arbitration for Sport (TAS/CAS). He is also an arbitrator at the Portuguese Court of Arbitration for Sport (TAD). His curriculum at the TAD can be consulted here.
His preferred fields are those of football, sports and eSports.
All clubs and those who interact with them in their roles as executives, managers, in-house lawyers, athletes, intermediaries, coaches, referees or sportsmen, fall into his field of action.
a certo argentário ventrudo, já grisalho, escutei eu este juízo admirativo: – “Que multidão imensa o futebol arrasta! Antigamente eram os touros; agora é o bolapé. Sinto-me capaz de comprar um cento de acções a um bom clube de futebol”
Sílvio Lima, Desportismo Profissional: desporto, trabalho e profissão, Editorial “Inquérito”, 1ª Edição, 1939, Lisboa.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
CONTRACTS | TRANSFERS | SPORTS LAW LITIGATION s
Hugo Vaz Serra counsels all interested parties in all sports, eSports and, in particular, football, but especially managers and administrators of sports companies or clubs, shareholders, directors, in-house lawyers, agents and intermediaries, investors, players, former players, coaches, referees, members of federations and associations and game agents.
Consultancy for player registration, contractual stability (contract termination and shielding), compliance with FIFA regulations on third party influence (TPO) and protection of minors, training compensation and solidarity mechanism, drafting for national squads, financial fair-play, unpaid debts or payments, doping and disciplinary procedures.
Hugo Vaz Serra prefers to consult on all contracts regarding athletes or players, both work related (namely celebration, termination or shielding of contracts) or for services rendered, transfer contracts, image rights, investments, marketing, sponsorships. At a practical level, the consultancy can be provided before or during the negotiation of contracts, during the writing up, revision or conclusion of the minutes, during exercise of contractual rights, during termination of contracts for just cause or due motive or to demand the compliance of a contract, payment or damages in case of non-compliance by the other party.
FEDERATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
Hugo Vaz Serra can help with writing the statutes, regulations and other necessary documentation, both in the field of sports or eSports.
We deal with transfers of athletes from several markets: Algeria, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Cyprus, Colombia, Egypt, England France, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Holland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mozambique, Paraguay, Peru, Romania, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Uruguay and USA.
FIFA AND TAS/CAS
Hugo Vaz Serra is qualified to practice before the legal bodies of FIFA and, appeals to FIFA, confederations and other international federations, at the TAS/CAS, especially in the defence of athletes’, coaches’ and clubs’ rights.
Labour law, trademarks & patents, tax issues (taxes and social security), civil and corporate law.
Services will be rendered by Hugo Vaz Serra, lawyer at VAZ SERRA & ASSOCIADOS – Sociedade de Advogados, SPRL, following a written convention including the services to be rendered, estimate of expenses and fees, according to the terms of article 105 of the statutes of the Bar Association (law nº 145/2015). Under the terms of article 106 of the same law, any “agreement between the lawyer and his client” is forbidden “before the definitive conclusion of the matter of which the latter is a part, according to which the right to fees depends exclusively on the results obtained in said matter (…). Please bear in mind that the fees are agreed upon freely, preferably in written form. All requested clarifications will be provided.
Av. Sidónio Pais 16, 5º Dt. 1050-215 Lisbon, Portugal, European Union.
5 minutes from the TAD – Portuguese Sports Arbitration Court
10 minutes from the Portuguese Football Federation’s “Football City”
20 minutes to the Lisbon International Airport
3 hours from Switzerland (headquarters of the TAS/CAS, FIFA, IOC and most international sports organizations)
Telephone: +351 217 20 30 40
Fax: +351 213 880 051
Law firm website: www.vsa-law.net